Saturday, May 10, 2008

Work it

I pulled up in our driveway last night in a Home Depot truck with a rototiller in the back. I can't remember seeing Rachel more excited to see me come home.

Unfortunately this was Home Depot's wimpiest rototiller, and although it was (barely) able to chew through the grass it did not make short work of things. Unknown to me, they had the manly rototillers locked up in a cage out back, not out on the tool rental floor, and Junior Sales Drone didn't know enough to suggest one of those when I said "I need to rip up my lawn so my wife can plant corn." Damn shame, because the next step up costs less than 20% more and it's a big step up.

But, I will get to try that rototiller too, because after an hour and a half, just as I was starting to get the hang of the wimpy one (use the sides to slice into the clay-filled ground), the throttle broke off. I could tell starting out that it was loose, but I didn't think it was in imminent danger of breaking.

Fortunately I had opted for the "yes, please charge me 10% more so you don't charge me full retail price in case your crap breaks" option so not a big deal except for having to go back today.

No comments: