- Grandma Ellis listening to Melissa talk about how she burned herself once: "You'll be hurt a lot worse in life. You can get past it." Mom's cheerful like that.
- Dad: "I don't feel old yet. In two years, that's when I'll feel old." Me: "Because you'll turn 65?" Dad: "No, because you'll turn 40."
- Tonight [Jan 2], Mom clobbered us at Ticket to Ride. It was so lopsided that she doubled my score. My joy in introducing my parents to board games is tempered a bit by losing every night.
- Melissa: "My gym teacher told us that we should take a bath every day. I told her that I have a very busy family and I don't think I can fit that into my schedule."
- Me: "Did you forget about this pumpkin in the bathroom?" Rachel: "No." I pick it up. The bottom is squishy, and it makes a sloshing sound. "Yes. Yes, you did."
- Melissa's science project (two months of work) is due tomorrow [Jan 20]. She started working on it seriously at about 4 PM. She is almost done at 9 PM. (She started from about 50% done, not from zero. Still.)
- Developing guitar calluses on my fingertips feels like they have superglue perpetually drying on them.
- Melissa wasn't confident in her Cream of Wheat-making skills, so she enlisted Matthew to help her. Somehow, neither of them noticed the comic book sitting on the stove next to the pot until it caught fire. In related news, every time we start to think Matthew might be ready to babysit, he proves us wrong. (They did put it out themselves.)
- Matthew was getting ready for his campout Friday. "Matthew, why are you wearing Melissa's socks?" "Mine are all dirty." And he still didn't do his laundry until I woke him up early this morning and told him no more excuses!
- Christine: "A lot of guys at church think playing the guitar is manly." Me: "Are you encouraging me, or laughing at me?" Christine: "Both, of course!"
- Me: "The good news is, we won't have to wipe Tommy's butt." Rachel: "What's the bad news?" "There's poop in the tub."
Saturday, February 14, 2015
Posted by Jonathan Ellis at 10:51 PM