Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sports after college

When I was in college I played a lot of sports. Not at the varsity level; just for fun. I was not fat.

Now, I do not play a lot of sports, and I am fat.

Despite my friend Gary telling me that diet is more important than exercise, I think there is a causal relationship here. (Also, Gary hits the gym daily. So definitely take him with a grain of salt.)

But it turns out that it's really hard to play most sports after college. There's nobody to play with.

Going down the list of sports I used to play --
  • Tennis: you pretty much need to find a regular partner or two. How do you do that? There is no "tennis partner" section on Craigslist.
  • Soccer: if you're not serious enough to play in a city league, there is nothing (where I live and I suspect most of the USA)
  • Volleyball: see "soccer"
  • Table Tennis: there are two clubs in the area, both about half an hour away. (Yes, I'm good enough that I don't call it "ping pong." :)
  • Judo: there is a new dojo about 10 minutes away. For $35/month I could play twice a week
  • Ultimate Frisbee: there may be a group that plays on Saturdays 20 minutes away. Other groups that I googled no longer exist; this one might not either. Otherwise there are definitely groups 35-45 minutes away.
  • Racquetball: like Tennis, requires a partner. Also requires either $50/month or $5/session to use a gym with a court
  • Weight lifting: gym memberships start at $30/month. I don't really have room for a weight machine (free weights would require a spotter) at my house.
Unfortunately I am not one of those people who can just go running or biking. That stuff is incredibly boring to me. I need competition. Direct competition, not the sort of "who can go faster" competition that you could do in isolation. (Yeah, weight lifting is on my list. That's boring too. But at least it results in manly pecs, you know?)

No comments: