Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Second day of frisbee

Went up to Murray park yesterday for a 9:30 game. I got there at 9:37. Nobody was there. About 9:45 one person showed up so I decided to wait a bit more. At 10 a couple more showed up and we started tossing discs in the cold rain.

By 10:30 we had eight and the rain stopped, so we started a game. After one point a ninth showed up and we were down a man.

Being down a man sucks when you are fat and slow. You have to work twice as hard on defense since there is always someone open.

I was only the second-worst player this time. Not that I improved so quickly, but someone showed up who was worse. He was fast enough, but he couldn't catch. So we mostly left him open and hoped he would drop it if they threw it to him. Usually he did.

I got cleats especially for this game since it was clear the grass was going to be very wet. Turns out baseball cleats are cheaper than soccer or football, so that's what I got. The Reeboks I tried were horribly uncomfortable, but some brand I've never heard of fit my slightly wider than average feet just fine.

The one guy who was playing without cleats was sliding all over the place, so yeah, worth the $30.

I stopped playing after a couple hours when my left knee said "uncle." I guess it's time to try an "old man" brace. Also losing 20 pounds wouldn't hurt.

No comments: