Sunday, May 11, 2008

Work it harder

As planned, I went back to Home Depot to get a manlier rototiller. I decided I was done playing in the kiddie section, and went straight for the top of the line, 13 horsepower tiller with a separate hydraulic drive for the tines, so you can put the tines in reverse and the drive in forward and just rip the living hell out of the ground.

Which is exactly what I did for an hour.

This beast was so heavy that it did almost all the work. I was almost sad Rachel didn't want to rip up more of the yard. Hurrah for the right tool for the job.

I have to wonder how pre-internal-combustion-engine farmers ever plowed anything, though. A couple horses ("two horsepower") would have been like the wimpy tiller. I'm guessing they must have just given up on crappy ground like ours and farmed areas with less clay in the soil.

No comments: