Sunday, May 04, 2008

Peanuts

This evening I went to check in on Melissa and to turn off her light. She was sitting on the rocking chair footstool looking thoughtful.

"Melissa, what are you doing?"

(Melissa) pats her back sadly. "I don't have wings."

"You don't have wings?"

"Yes. I don't have wings. I can't fly."

"Oh. Yes I suppose that's true. But you can fly in an airplane."

She brightened a little at that thought as she climbed into bed.

However, she is still not asleep...


Matthew can now count by tens. He has been able to count by ones to 100 for some time now and has delighted in showing us. Over and over and over again.

Matthew has been rooting for a baby boy. A few days ago he told me, "I know the baby is a brother if he has a penis." When I suggested that he could be the one to check and let everyone know, he seemed quite pleased with the responsibility. "I can call Grandma and Grandpa too!" That sounds like a great big brother job!


If we do have a boy Matthew really really wants the baby to share a room with him.

"And if the baby cries in the night I will pick him up and sing songs and burp him!"

"Well, little babies sleep with Mommy and Daddy so Mommy can take nurse the baby and change diapers in the night."

"That's okay. When he gets bigger he can share a room with me!"

I don't think he appreciates how long it takes for a baby to get bigger...and then when little brothers do get bigger they tend to get into get into mischief (and older siblings' things). Speaking strictly from experience.


Melissa has recently figured out that there's a difference between boys and girls and men and women. I don't think she's noticed any specifics, just that Mommy and Daddy are somehow different and Daddy is a MAN and Mommy is a WOMAN. Recently she has started gleefully declaring, "Daddy, YOU 'DA MAN!'" much to her Daddy's delight!

No comments: