Sunday, May 18, 2008

Not much of a party



Hi Cousins!

Jonathan and I would be happy to host this Sunday's dinner. Please email or
call me if you can make it. Dinner will be at 6ish. Look
forward to seeing all who can make it!

Love,
Rachel

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Heather <@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Cousin-a-roos!
>
>
>
> Well, the cousin dinner looks like it might need to be cancelled due to
> lack of host/hostess. Sorry fam! My bad. Anyway, it was scheduled for
> Sunday, so if anyone wants to volunteer to head it up this month, let me
> know.

Attendance? Zero. Should have invited my cousins instead.

The cousins missed out on Jonathan's Baked Ziti. Yes, I cooked dinner. Although halfway through the ziti preparation, Rachel couldn't stand being left out any longer and took over the seasoning. Seriously. I think it was my mixing of the marinara sauce and ricotta cheese that drove her to it. It made getting the ricotta distributed evenly far easier but pink is a decidedly non-traditional color for ziti sauce. Not that you could tell when all the cheese covered it on top, and it certainly didn't taste any difference, but watching me mix the two provoked a very visceral dislike in Rachel. So she did the second one her way.

Predictably, the kids did not like the ziti. Matthew tried one noodle and one bit of sausage and decided he would rather make himself some toast, which he did. (And pronounced it much better than Daddy's toast. Knock yourself out, kid.)

Melissa refused to have anything to do with the ziti and eventually went to bed very much against her will and screaming bloody murder. (Actually, the screaming preceeded and caused the going to bed.) She didn't nap today, and it showed.

I, on the other hand, napped fantastically today. Unfortunately, my 1:00 nap falls right smack in the middle of church, and the Sunday School teacher's quiet, slightly monotonic monologue combined with by body demanding to sleep puts me out like a light. I'm a little embarassed that I haven't stayed awake through her class in weeks, especially since she's Matthew's preschool teacher too, so we see her during the week for that. "There's that guy who always falls asleep during my lesson," I suspect her of thinking.

But I have to admit that there is a part of me that is a little glad that my sleep schedule has resulted in putting that class time to better use.

1 comment:

Rachel Ellis said...

No offense Dear, but ricotta cheese and marinara sauces makes a puke pink color (with chunks). Decidedly unappetizing.