Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Sleepy Baby

Isaac started out quite eager to nurse the first few days, however, shortly after my milk came in he's been pretty sleepy. He's a little bit jaundiced, but not bad at all. The pediatrician thought it looked very minimal. So that is not the problem...

He does have a good latch and a strong suck, and he nurses through a letdown and for a few minutes afterwards. The problem is I have to wake him up to feed him most of the time. And he can be hard to rouse! I'm setting an alarm at night, because he doesn't reliably wake up. I've never encountered this problem before. Isaac also does not root and act hungry like Matthew and Melissa did. So far I've tried diaper changes, tickling his spine and toes, and undressing him partially with mixed results. Anyone else gone through this? Ideas? Suggestions?

I plan on weighing him tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that he's gained some weight...

1 comment:

Our little family said...

Katie was, and still is, a very sleepy baby. She's never given much hunger cues, and still doesn't give me many hunger cues until she sees her food. When she was an infant, I woke her up at appropriate intervals, just like you are going to do. Megan also was sleepy the first couple of weeks, but still managed to gain weight even though her feedings were father apart than Liz's, and then she woke up more as she got older. Good luck!