Sunday, August 17, 2008

Prayers

I think the Lord has been watching over Isaac and our family.

Originally I planned on weighing Isaac on Friday as long as he was going through diapers and looked okay. Thursday morning I began to get concerned because he didn't look like he was filling out at all and he was too sleepy- but he was still making lots of diapers. I began praying for him. By evening I decided that he needed to be weighed right away. The pediatrician's office isn't open in the evening, so I took him to the post office and used the scale there to see his weight. My heart dropped into my shoes when I saw how much he'd lost. I took him home very upset. I made some calls to the pediatrician, my midwife, and my Dad. They were all very concerned, but didn't have quite the urgency I was feeling. Of course they couldn't see him over the phone either... My Dad and midwife both expressed their confidence that I'd know what to do though. The pediatrician advised bottle feeding him during the night and taking him into the office in the morning; unless I was really, really concerned, then take him to the hospital.

Jonathan was at his Python meeting, so I waited until he got home. My Mom suggested getting a blessing, so when he arrived home he and a neighbor gave Isaac and me a blessing. Right after the blessing I told Jonathan that we needed to go NOW to Primary Children's Hospital even though there are several hospitals closer. I just felt we needed to be there. So we packed up and left. All the way there I was hoping that it was a simple matter, but felt in my heart that there was something really wrong.

Jonathan already wrote about our experience in the ER, so I won't repeat it, but it was very good he went in that night. He would have been in much worse shape had we waited any longer. Also, it turns out that even if we had gone to another hospital, Isaac would have been transferred to Primary. So just as well we hadn't wasted time.

No comments: