Monday, August 25, 2008

Busy Day


First Day of Kindergarten


Matthew started kindergarten this morning. I think he was a little apprehensive, because he was somewhat grumpy this morning. When we dropped him off, Melissa cried because she wanted to go too. I called Matthew up after school and he was so excited to tell me all about praying mantises. "Guess what...? Did you know...? Guess what Mom...?" He was also quite pleased that there were more boys in his class than girls (someday he will wish it otherwise, I suspect). He seemed pretty happy with his first day of school.
At the Hospital

After dropping Matthew off at kindergarten, Jonathan and I headed up to the hospital where we met the Dr. Z and the phlebotomist to draw blood for the genetic testing. I have to say if you ever need blood drawn and happen to be at Primary Children's, request Lou. It took her just a split second to get the needle in Isaac's vein- no hesitation, no probing. Then she drew from Jonathan and me, and I suspect she could have done us blindfolded. That's 20+ years experience poking the tiniest veins. The lady is good!

Since he's had such high sugars, his kidneys have had to work overtime resulting in low sodium in his blood. They are supplementing with sodium now. The day nurse tried to give it to him straight which resulted in a lot of gagging and ultimately upchucking half his lunch. Can't say that I'd blame him, blech.

Starting the Lantus again today. So far the glucose levels have look very good on the Lantus, under 100 even! Isaac continues to impress his nurses with his appetite (that's my boy!). Jonathan graphed Isaac's glucose levels and insulin intake while on and off of the glyburide (excluding the times on Lantus); we're not noticing a significant difference...

Back Home

Matthew went shoe shopping with Grandma, while I napped on the couch. Grandmas are great!!! They found a pair for school and a pair for church. Grandma said that Matthew took to shopping like a typical guy. That is to say, he was bored out of his skull until he got to pick out a treat of oreo cookies. Melissa slept while they were gone, so I got a nice nap too. Getting up twice a night to pump is more time consuming and tiring than getting up to feed a baby. Meanwhile, Jonathan went back to work for a few hours. When he return, he brought beautiful flowers. What a sweet husband. A friend brought dinner by, which was appreciated. Thanks Jenny!

And Back at the Hospital Again

After dinner and dishes, I headed back up to the hospital with Mom to feed Isaac once more. (I want to make sure that he doesn't forget how to nurse with all the bottles he receives...) He's looking very good. I warned the night nurse about the sodium incident and advised she put it in some milk first. She did, and down it went without protest. Now it is bedtime. 'Night 'night.

3 comments:

Our little family said...

I can't believe he's in kindergarten! So, did you decide to put him in a charter school. That looks like a uniform he's wearing. I like the uniforms, limited choices, and all are accetable for school. It's the ONLY time she can pick out her own outfit and I don't have a complaint about it! No matching skills required with white, navy blue and khaki. :) Glad to hear Isaac is doing so well, I hope it continues.

Unknown said...

The only thing cooler than a school uniform is an Autobots Transformer tank top with Optimus Prime on it. Or so I thought when I was in kindergarten.

Rachel Ellis said...

We couldn't get into a charter school. Since demand is so high, it's done by lottery, and we just didn't make it. Matthew attends Challenger and you're right, uniforms do make getting dressed in the morning easier. :)