Wednesday, August 13, 2008

But What About the Mess?

I've been asked many times regarding home birth, "But what do you do about the mess?" Here's our experience:

After Isaac was born, I went back in the tub with him. We snuggled and nursed. The midwife checked our vitals and then put all the laundry in the wash. Isaac had quite a bit of vernix on his head so she got the infant brush and cleaned it off. Then she made up my bed with chux pads. During this time, Matthew, Melissa, and Jonathan made phone calls. After about 15-20? minutes I was ready to get out.

Once upstairs and bundled in bed, Rebecca again checked temperature and heart rate on Isaac and me. Then she drew blood from the cord for the blood typing and gave Matthew and Melissa a placenta lesson (which they thought was very cool). She said the placenta was big enough for an eleven pound baby and gorgeous. Personally, I think you'd have to be a midwife to consider a placenta gorgeous! While the kids were fascinated with the placenta, Jonathan fed me cantaloupe and orange juice. He also served cake for everyone.

The midwife checked me (yeah! no tears!) and the fundus (nice and firm). After which she gave us a lovely swaddle blanket. Things were starting to get uncomfortable, so Jonathan ran to the pharmacy and filled a prescription for the afterpains. Bless him! I got up to use the bathroom and Rebecca started the newborn exam on Isaac. She listened to his heart, checked his eyes, ears, and nose, tested for a number of newborn reflexes, checked his oxygen levels, and took his temperature. When Jonathan got back she weighed and measured him.

When Rebecca was satisfied that we were both stable and doing well, she went downstairs and cleaned our bathroom!

Jonathan put Melissa to bed (she had fallen asleep at the table) and ran to Walmart to pick up newborn diapers. We were planning to use cloth, but Isaac is too small to really fit them just yet.

During all of this time, my one and only job was to snuggle and nurse Isaac. I think I got the best end of the deal.

With Jonathan back, Dawni (our family photographer who is amazing!), Rebecca, Jonathan, and I chatted for a bit in the newborn glow. Then it was time to rest. Before Rebecca left she offered to do our dishes! We politely turned her down.

It was so peaceful resting in our own bed after a lovely birth.

No comments: