Friday, August 15, 2008

Progress

Slept a couple hours in the waiting room.  They are giving him insulin through an IV and checking his blood sugar hourly.  The last check (or two?) it's been under 700, so it's going in the right direction now.  They weren't able to get a veinal IV through his navel so they are going to have to do a PICC line, basically an IV catheter through a vein in his arm into his chest near his heart.  IVs near the surface like the one in his hand tend to get dislodged and start dripping into tissue instead of the vein in kids his age.
Funny -- as sick as he is, in the NICU, surrounded by preemies, Isaac is the big one of the group.

2 comments:

Our little family said...

I am so sorry. I can truly say I know what you're going through. You are in my prayers. Sitting in the NICU is one of the hardest things I've ever done. And not knowing what is wrong and how to make your baby better is awful too. I know I can't say anything to make it easier, but I really do hope he gets better soon.

Rachel Ellis said...

Thanks Kim.