Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Isaac's Birth


I'll tell the story with pictures, not to worry, nothing graphic! (Pictures were taken by Dawni of Dawni Angel Photography)

Labor started in earnest about 5:45. Jonathan called Rebecca at 7 to let her know labor was underway. I thought calling was a little premature and didn't want her to come over yet. It would have been too disappointing if the contractions were just the after affects of the membrane sweeping and cohosh tincture. I wanted to be sure it was labor. Rebecca called Jonathan around 8 for an update, and heard me in the background. "I'll be right over. If Rachel prefers, I can just be in another room for a bit." Jonathan told her that it was past the point where we'd left for the birth center when we had Melissa. This was it. He was right, the man knows his wife.

As Jonathan said, labor was spent primarily in the tub. During the contractions he poured water over my belly which helped considerably. He also kept me well supplied with water to drink. Warm water seems to help take the edge off of contractions. (Until the end when nothing helps much, but the baby is coming soon anyway.) Another thing that helped was a pressure point in the hand that Rebecca showed Jonathan. When pressed firmly, that too helped ease some of the pain. Jonathan and Rebecca pulled me through this labor. It was a very intense one for me, and their words of encouragement and soothing hands kept me going. Rebecca called this type of labor "riding the bull," a short, wild ride.


Matthew and Melissa played at a neighbors house until it was bedtime. Jonathan put them down for the night, but they slipped out of bed and hung out by the stairs. Matthew read to Melissa and kept her entertained.

They were very quiet, and I wouldn't have known they were there, except occasionally a little blond head would peak around the corner.

I got pretty restless at the end and got out of the tub. I could feel the contraction roar to the peak and then slowly taper down only to give me a few seconds respite before racing to the peak again. Contractions were right on top of each other and the only thing that seemed to help at this point was to stand. So I did and gave a push hoping to end things soon (even though I didn't feel much urge to push). Rebecca assured me that the baby was coming very, very soon. "You're going to have a baby today! 08/08/08!" I didn't have any cervix checks during labor, so Rebecca's reassurance was very helpful. I can't imagine holding still long enough for checking to even be possible during this roller coaster labor! The second push I gave Isaac came flying out. Jonathan was prepared though and between him, myself and Rebecca, we caught him handily. There was a bit of blood and two minutes later I had to push again and out plopped the placenta. (I'll spare you pictures, gentle reader.)

When Matthew and Melissa heard the baby cry, they darted into the bathroom to meet their new sibling. Matthew checked the baby out and was pleased almost beyond words with his new baby brother. Well, actually he did manage to let everyone know that he was right, it was a baby brother.


I cannot begin to describe the joy that comes with a new baby...

No comments: