Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fat and lazy is no way to go through life

I was modestly pleased with my highly normal blood sugar reading today since my mother keeps warning me how if I stay fat I'm going to get type 2 diabetes and die young.  [Expository story deleted by Rachel.]
Rachel received the good news less than enthusiastically.  "It wouldn't kill you to take her advice anyway!"
"It nearly did!  When I started exercising I ended up spending a month in a shoulder brace!"
Rachel and her mom started suggesting exercise less likely to get me hurt.  "You should try swimming."  Boring.  "Running."  My father and my brother have already had arthroscopic surgery; I don't want to be next.  "Walking."  Boring.
"Water aerobics," she joked.  No.  But water-skiing?  I think we're on to something!
Rachel thought for a second.  "Your problem," she said, "is that your idea of exercise is ten years younger than you are."

7 comments:

Kathleen and Justin Lofley said...

Wii Fiit! It's pretty much amazing.

Jonathan Ellis said...

We have a Wii Fit at work. It's... tame.

Grant Ellis said...

Lisa agrees exercise needs to be something fun, and points out you're only 31, for heaven's sake, and your 30 year old brother does judo. :)

She also rolls her eyes every time I read something suggesting you're overweight.

abby said...

That quote is so your mom. I do the elliptical and it can be boring, but ususally I have a fun playlist going on my ipod so I just get lost in that. You could also take up mountain biking. :) Everyone around here does ultimate and kickball. I saw what ultimate did to you, have you decided to give kickball or dodgeball a chance. We have adult leagues in the DC area.

Rachel Ellis said...

I just have to add that some liberties were taken with my comment- I just suggested that he ease into exercise...

Still it sounds funnier the way he wrote it.

Kathleen and Justin Lofley said...

I heard that the Wii Fiit yoga is really good. Does your work have that one?

Unknown said...

Do body weight circuit training.

There is a jiujitsu school in Sandy Utah. That is easier on the body than judo.

You could also pick up a large tire from a junkyard if you want to try some exercises that are different.