Thursday, October 16, 2008

The End of BLT Season

Alas, tomato season is over. The snow over last weekend killed off most of the vegetable plants with exception to the carrots and swiss chard. I think I need a greenhouse someday...


Surprisingly many of the tomatoes themselves were not damaged by the cold. I had too many to fit into the bucket, so I put the rest in the sling. There are a lot of green tomatoes left however. Not sure if I can (or will) do anything with them. Anyone cooked with green tomatoes? Are they any good?

4 comments:

Telitha said...

Wow, Rachel, you look great! The tomatoes look good, too:)

abby said...

I was going to say the same thing as Telitha. For having three kids, you look awesome. It must be all those fresh vegetables. :)

Utahfeminist said...

We've got a lot of green tomatoes too. Martin wants to make chutney. I want sunshine and red tomatoes!

This is Grania by the way!

Rachel Ellis said...

Thanks Abby and Telitha.

Hmm. Green tomato chutney. Maybe I'll try that. I've heard that you can make a green tomato pie with apple pie spices and it tastes remarkably like apple pie. Perhaps I'll have to experiment...