Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Apples, Apples, Everywhere!


Today Renee and I made applesauce. It's been a few years since I last made it, and I'd forgotten just how messy the process is!

We canned 13 quarts with the assistance of 3 small people and 2 babies. Sound nuts? Maybe a little. Actually it went pretty well. We did have story time breaks, nursing breaks, lunch, and plenty of "help."

Jonathan was home too, so he kept the entropy from getting too out of hand.


Our three big helpers. They each took turns smashing the apples in the hopper and turning the crank.

Mmmm. Homemade applesauce. I'm not sure what kind of apples most commercial companies use, but we certainly didn't need fructose corn syrup or any sweetener for that matter. Just some local gala and jonathan apples. And it was good!

3 comments:

abby said...

I always wanted to make applesauce. I'm so jealous. I made pie with my fresh apples. Yummy!

Unknown said...

"jonathan apples"

Are those apples picked by Jonathan, or is that really their name?

:P

Rachel Ellis said...

They really are called Jonathans. They are a sweet apple with a tangy "bite" to them. The color from the peel bleeds into the sauce giving our sauce a pinkish color.