Thursday, December 11, 2008

Which would you choose?

I had a very odd dream last night.

I dreamed that there were two worlds. One was stunningly beautiful, like Washington x 100 and without the constant drizzle. It was filled with attractive, almost intangible people. There was no birth or death in the world; no pain or sorrow either. The people there appeared happy and warmly encouraged me to join them.

The other world was gritty and sparsely populated. The landscape paled compared to its ethereal counterpart. The people scarcely noticed my presence, they were struggling to make it day to day. Their faces were lined with their toil and hardships. This was a world well acquainted with both pain and sorrow. Birth and death came as unpredictable companions.

One point in particular divided the two worlds. The lovely world wasn't real. Its beauty was an illusion and those that dwelled there ceased to be "real". That is why its residents looked and felt intangible. The other world in all its harsh unloveliness was very real. The things that occurred there, good and bad, mattered, and mattered forever.

My unseen guide made it clear that it was up to me to decide which world I wished to live in.

Then Isaac woke me up.

Later I dreamed that it snowed in San Antonio...

1 comment:

jeremy said...

In some ways that sounds like the two different worlds that C.S. Lewis talks about in The Great Divorce.