Monday, December 15, 2008

Songs to give your six year old nightmares

Of course everyone has heard Tom Dooley (but did you know it's based on a real murder?), where the Kingston Trio (not the first, but the most popular) sing in perfect harmony about Laura Foster's murder.  But while that may be a little disconcerting on first listening, it leaves the actual murder comfortably in the background.


I heard the DitWG for the first time just now.  Not what I expected to hear the Everly Brothers singing.  I wonder if that was controversial back in the 50s.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good old Tom Dooley.

I remember playing that on mom and dad's record player.

abby said...

My dad had a Kingston Trio cd that used to listen to all the time in high school. I had no idea that song was so disturbing. If you want another one that's depressing, try Last Kiss. The Red Hot Chili Peppers covered it a few years ago but it was from the 1950s.

Jonathan Ellis said...

That is a good one, too. (It was Pearl Jam, and their version was one of he few covers that turned out better than the original, IMO. The earlier versions both sounded too upbeat, considering the subject. :)

Andrea said...

Jonathan, you have me concerned. You just took my sis to Texas and all of these songs are about murdering women.....