Saturday, December 06, 2008

Daddy's new toy

We sold the Mark VIII to a neighbor's son for cheap when we left Utah, so I needed to get a car to drive to work.  I rented for a week and did some test drives over the Thanksgiving break.  (A Mark VIII fan site?  Rachel is still giggling.)

My first offer was on a 2000 Vette that was a blast to drive.  The previous owner had added a supercharger, so (according to the supercharger manufacturer) it did 450+ horsepower (vs 350 factory).  It was a firebreathing monster, way too easy to rip the wheels off the road.  What a beast.  It also had a custom hood that made it look vicious.

But the dealer never got back to me.  I don't know if they were playing games or disorganized or thought I was lowballing too hard (I wasn't).  So when over the weekend the owner of the Z4 I drove called me with a lower price I took it.  The Z4 is not hell-bent on collecting tickets the way the Vette was, but it's a lot of fun to drive and is still under (extended) warranty.  And yes, you can comfortably drive with the top down here.  In December.  I'll probably never live anywhere with better convertible weather, unless I change my mind about moving to California.

Postscript: Rachel advises that if I plan on driving this with the top down in the Summer, I'd better get a hat.  "I'm going that bald?"  "Yes."


4 comments:

Renee said...

SWEET! I want a ride!

Rachel Ellis said...

I didn't say it quite like that!

abby said...

That's your commuter car? It makes my Nissan Sentra look like a pile of junk I found on the side of the road.

Unknown said...

Drooool