Saturday, December 27, 2008

Speaking tomorrow in church

I was asked to give a talk in sacrament meeting on perfecting the saints.  This is going to be hard.

I'm used to public speaking.  That part doesn't bother me.  In fact, it's kind of a rush.  But I've always tried to make my presentations involve audience participation -- asking questions with a small audience, getting a show of hands with a large one, that sort of thing.  Sacrament meeting talks, though, are monologues.  That's just how they are.  It's more solemn that way. So I keep thinking of ways to drive participation for this talk, but I can't use them.  It's driving me crazy.

Also I like to be very informal when I present.  And controversial.  Both of these help when your primary purpose is to entertain.  (And even in technical talks, that's your primary purpose, or you're doing it wrong.)  I can't get up tomorrow and say, "The two-Cumorah theory is bulls***."  (Rachel caught me laughing to myself earlier.  I was thinking of things I could say that would ensure I'd never be asked to speak again.  That's one.)

I guess the fundamental problem is that speaking in church, at least in sacrament meeting, is not primarily to entertain.  It's a completely different game than you practice for any other public speaking.  No wonder almost nobody is good at it!

Back to the grindstone.

2 comments:

Rachel Ellis said...

Man oh man... should I bring the kids tomorrow? Or not? :)

And what in the world does the "two hill cumorah" theory have to do with your talk anyways?

Should be interesting. Tehe.

Jonathan's blasting classical music right now. Funny man.

abby said...

I've heard entertaining Church talks but not all were meant to be that way.

I never heard of the Two Cumorah theory I guess that comes from not attending Gospel Doctrine class.

The use of the word bullshit by an Ellis is especially pleasing to me. I never heard any of your siblings swear.