Monday, December 08, 2008

Unplanned purchase

Apparently San Antonio runs on electricity pretty much exclusively. Gas stoves and dryers are almost unheard of. So when I looked in the laundry room all I saw was a big black plug. Greeaaaat! I love my gas dryer, really I do! But here it is useless.

We inherited it from the previous tenants in our first house. They asked if we wanted their old washer and dryer, and since we didn't have one, we said sure. The washer was junk and had a tendency to flood. After about a year I sent it off to the junkyard and bought a decent washing machine. The dryer looks like junk, but it runs great. It is an ugly greenish color, has duct tape holding the bottom panel in place, dents and scratches galore, and is likely older than I am. It is a great dryer though. It dries clothes faster than the washing machine washes them and doesn't give us a bit of grief. Good dryer.

So I wasn't at all pleased to go down and buy an electric dryer. Blah. The salesman raved on and on about how much I'll love electric dryers, ecetera, ecetera. I DO NOT love it. It's ok, I guess. The drying time is much longer. Now instead of waiting on the washing machine, I'm waiting on the dryer. I really don't like buying things when I already have a perfectly good one- just no way to hook it up.

Grumble, grumble.

3 comments:

Our little family said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! We just got a gas dryer in April this year, and I LOVE it. I prefer gas stoves as well. Can you get gas plumbed in for the dryer? That's what we did. Our house only had an electric hookup, but we just had my brother in law (plumber), plumb gas in to the laundry closet for us, and now we have a gas dryer. I won't ever be able to go back now. :)

Rachel Ellis said...

We're renting... and I don't think the owners would appreciate us improving the house. Though it would be a BIG improvement.

I like gas stoves too. When we finished the basement I made sure there was a way to easily pipe gas to the kitchen in the event we ever upgraded our stove. But we moved, so it never happened...

Our little family said...

We're planning to upgrade the kitchen stove as well. When we bought the materials to plumb gas to the dryer, we bought everything we'll need to plumb gas to the kitchen as well. :) It just hasn't happened yet.