Monday, November 17, 2008

Squash Custard

Andrea brought a big green mystery squash with her, courtesy of our grandparents in Walla Walla.  My kids are not huge squash eaters and I hated to see it go to waste.  It was a lovely golden yellow color in the inside and had a mild sweet flavor.  Matthew and Melissa did eat some, but wouldn't be able to eat the whole thing before it went bad.  I figured that if I added a little sugar and made it custard-like, then it would disappear more quickly.  

Squash experiment:
*Keep in mind all measurements are approximate since I'm very bad at measuring out ahead of time.  I'm more of a dash of this, some of that type of cook.

about 4 cups peeled cooked squash  (I find it's easiest to bake it first in the oven and then peel the skin off)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice

Dump all of the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.  Pour into an 8 x 8 pyrex dish and bake at 350 for about an hour+ or until set.  Enjoy warm or cold.  

I've made 3 batches of it and we only have a little custard left, so it was a hit.  Mmmm!

3 comments:

Renee said...

that sounds fantastic! I think I'll steal your recipe! Thanks :)

Our little family said...

It was probably a Hubbard squash. I bought several of them this year, they're my new favorite. I love how nutty they are. Squash soup is excellent too. We put sour cream in it, so it's nice and creamy. Squash freezes really well if you ever have that problem again. It can also be substituted for the pumpkin in cookies or muffins.

Rachel Ellis said...

I found out it's called a "Sweet Meat." It's a delicious heirloom squash.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/7517/222