Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Dreary Election Day

The grey skies and drizzling rain seem appropriate today.

Well, I did my civic duty, but I can't recall an election in which I was less excited to vote.  Since the 1994 congressional election I've loved watching and participating in politics.  Every two years I stay up late watching the election returns with a big bowl of popcorn.  Jonathan can attest to this.  The last few years I've become increasingly frustrated with both local and national politics.  I'm feeling rather apathetic lately.  Over a year of winnowing candidates down and those two are our best, brightest, most qualified and moral individuals!?  I guess whoever wins, we deserve what we get, but sheesh!  

Another thing that annoys me is the question posed every four years to presidential candidates, "If elected, what are you going to do for me?"  What the heck?  Well Billy Bob, what are you going to do for yourself, your family, and your community?  Huh?  We've come a long ways from JFK's, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."  I just can't see very many politicians using that line in a speech today.  Why depend on the government to fix our problems?  

Let's just take a look at what government does well...

Public schools?  Why yes, aren't we leading the world in K-12 academics and student achievements? The more money thrown into the schools, the better they do too.  Just look at the DC school district.  They ranked third among states for per pupil spending. They're a model of performance and scholastic excellence, no?   

Next...FEMA.  'Nuff said.  

War on Poverty.  Guess I've been reading too much Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams to be content with our welfare programs.

War on Drugs.  Nope.  No drug problems here.

Social Security.  Now there's a ponzi scheme if I ever saw one.  My generation believes in eventual social security benefits about as much as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. 

Medicaid/Medicare.  Scary.

Internal Revenue Service.   Even more scary.

The DMV.  Love, love, that fast, courteous service!

I could go on, but I won't.  Some things the government does do well.  The military is a fine example.  In general though, the more the government intervenes, the more unintended, messy consequences it creates.  

After the election is over I will continue living and loving life as always.  I hope and pray that the foolishness in Washington  and in Utah is kept to a minimum.  There is just too much at stake...  May God Bless America from whichever scoundrel wins.

2 comments:

Kathleen and Justin Lofley said...

Aaaaaaaa-MEN!

Renee said...

Sorry to hear you don't share my enthusiasm for our new President-elect. On a lighter note, I love love love the new blog layout!