Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Moving

Didn't quite get a job by Oct 31, so we're insurance-less until the 24th, when my next job starts (no waiting until the beginning of the next month -- wow).  But it turns out that they can't classify anything as a pre-existing condition until after 30-60 days of being uninsured, so that's all right, assuming nobody gets struck by lightning in the next three weeks.

I accepted Rackspace's offer about five minutes ago, so we're moving to San Antonio!  Rachel was a little ambivalent until we woke up to three inches of snow this morning.  "You know," she said, "San Antonio is sounding pretty good now."

My father approves of San Antonio, too.  He's an easy man to please; as long as he can ride his bicycle year-round, he'll be happy to visit for Christmas.  The cost of living there is within a few percent of what it is here in Draper, which is to say, a whole lot less than where he is now in New Jersey, so maybe getting some family out there isn't impossible.

I've been telling everyone in my immediate family, and Rachel's, that "we've been trying to get you to move to Utah for ten years, and nobody has.  So it's time to try somewhere else," and that was true up until last night, when Rachel's sister moved down.  Way to make me a liar, Andrea!

It's tough leaving home for parts unknown but on balance we're excited for something new.  Time to put together a list of "stuff I'll wish I'd done in Utah while I was there" so I can cross some of them off.  We've hiked in Zion's, seen a play at the Utah Shakespeare Festival, and seen the Christmas lights at Temple Square, so I think we're in pretty good shape.  Dinner at La Caille is one I'd like to add.  Any other suggestions?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, guys! I hope you have a safe and easy move. Be well.

Taryn

Renee said...

Snowboarding the circ at Snowbird? Your family will be missed!

abby said...

The thing I miss the most about Utah is the food so load up on Cafe Rio and all your other favorites. Good luck selling the house. I'll be bummed if your parents ever moved outside of NJ but it's bound to happen some day.

Our little family said...

Way to make my day even better! (sarcasm doesn't come across very well in email.) I'm excited for you, but so sad! My last good friend is moving, and I'm still here. I'm also very envious. I'll ALWAYS be in Utah...........

I hear you on the snow, I just said the same thing to Rusty. If you're going to be here in January, the Draper temple open house starts January 15. We're taking the kids. That's something you should do before you leave.

Telitha said...

Wow, Congrats! When do you move? If you're not going to start work for awhile, I suggest Cobra (that's what I payed when I left Chanel... it's probably expensive for a family, but might be worth the peace of mind; cobra can continue the insurance you had for up to 9 months)

Jonathan Ellis said...

Good thought, but it turns out that if your health plan is small enough (we had maybe 7 people on it at the high point) they don't have to offer COBRA. So unfortunately that wasn't an option.

Telitha said...

oooh I didn't know that:( too bad! Well I hope moving goes well... Too bad Andrea moved there just as you're leaving!

Unknown said...

Congratulations J & R.

I told Telitha that you were moving to California. Lol

All the San Places should have been confined to California:P

What is the time frame?

D and I may be out in Utah the beginning of Jan for a friend's wedding.

Jonathan Ellis said...

We are almost certainly moving this month.