Thursday, September 04, 2008

That was fast

Tuesday night Matthew had homework that was the same as the first three nights.  His handwriting is terrible, so I had him do that section, but I drew a line through the rest of it and left a note to the effect that I was satisfied that Matthew understood how to do those with my phone number.

The next day the headmaster of his school called.  I wasn't surprised she called, but I was surprised at how inflexible she was.  She was categorically insistent that every student must do every line of homework, "to demonstrate proficiency."  "Isn't that what testing is for?" I asked.  "Yes, but every student must do homework.  It teaches them responsibility to put it in the bin every day."  "No problem; he'll do that, he just doesn't need to do the parts where he's already demonstrated proficiency repeatedly."  "It will get more challenging quickly."  "Okay; when it is, I won't have to draw lines through it."  

Looking back on the conversation, I think there were two things that freaked her out.  One was my laughter when she threatened me with lowering his grades on homework assignments.  "Sure, no problem.  Low kindergarten grades are like water off a duck's back."  Not caring about grades?  What kind of psycho is this that I'm dealing with?  

(And you know, it's not just kindergarten that I don't care about grades in, although I didn't go into that with her.  Why does society care about grades?  In high school, it's so you can get into a good college; in college, it's so you can get a good job.  There's some truth to the first assertion, but unless you go to an Ivy League school nobody cares where you went to college a year later.  Similarly, once you're in the workforce nobody cares about your college GPA.  Unless it's a 4.0, in which case, it can be a line on your resume, but even then it's not a big deal and after your first job your experience will matter much, much more.  I've seen this from both sides of the hiring process.)

The other factor, I think, was one of the times that she insisted that homework prepared students to be productive in society.  I pointed out that in Real Life, productivity doesn't consist of filling out the same arbitrary predigested problems divorced from all normal incentives that 30 other people are filling out, and there was a pause.  I think that was the point she realized that I was an Apostate and there was no hope for my soul.  The only thing to do with apostates, of course, is to burn them -- Sharia seems to be more flexible; as long as they kill you, Allah is happy -- or at least, expell their kids.  So she decided to expell Matthew entirely rather than just dock his grades.  "I just don't think this is a good fit."  She's right about that, but I would have been happy to continue just drawing lines through the busywork, so it galls me to have him expelled because of some bureaucrat's petty power-tripping.  And, of course, the timing is inconvenient.

Rachel doesn't say so explicitly, but she wishes I would just not make waves and make Matthew do the busywork for a couple months.  I almost wish I could, but this is important to me -- I've read the research, and the evidence is clearly in favor of no homework in elementary school; having him do each type of problem at least once and only striking them out when they were clearly busywork was as much of a compromise as I could make.  Rachel has a visceral reaction of I DON'T HAVE TIME TO HOME SCHOOL RIGHT NOW, I CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT, which is understandable, but we are far from out of other options.  And my Ellis stubborness has the bit in its mouth; as I pointed out to Rachel, she knew I was stubborn when she married me.

So, Matthew will get to try public school soon, probably next week.  I want to talk to the public kindergarten teachers, on the theory that (a) with six (?) classes, the odds are good that at least one of them will be sympathetic, and (b) I tried the "don't talk to the teacher ahead of time" policy already, and that didn't turn out very well.  But Rachel is afraid I will just do more damage.  We will see.  Maybe if I call the Montessori school in Riverton and make sure they have an opening as a fallback she will worry less.  They are a lot closer to my views on this; the drawback is that they only offer a full-day schedule for Matthew's age.

5 comments:

Our little family said...

Thank you, thank you for standing up for what you believe about homework! I also think homework in elementary school is ridiculous. They are doing the same busy work for 6 hours at school, why does a first grader have to do it for another hour after getting home??? I think it is much more beneficial for them to play outside, play with friends, unwind, etc. I'm struggling with what to with the same problem right now. I really don't want Liz to have to do an extra hour or so of homework every day. Some days she doesn't get to play at all, she goes straight from homework to dinner to bed. Ridiculous for a first grader, and I think harmful, because she's already not wanting to go to school because she doesn't get time to play in the afternoons. She told me herself without hearing me say that. Anyway, good job to be assertive.

abby said...

I'm a product of a Montesori school education (ages 2 through kindergarten). I learned stuff and I had lots of play time. It isn't really a bad option. However, I'm not sure you'll find a public school teacher that will let Matthew have no homework. No Child Left Behind might have messed with that.

Our little family said...

Can you post some of the research you've found on homework in elementary school? I'm gathering information, and plan to meet with the principal next week to talk about this. I'm also trting to figure out if I could do home schooling, but I'm with Rachel right now on that one. Good luck!

Jonathan Ellis said...

here's a couple columns that summarize things a bit: http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2006-09-17-1.html http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2006-09-24-1.html

i have the two books he references; you're welcome to borrow them.

Unknown said...

Good work Jonathan.

I am glad you have enough sense and resolution to stand to your guns.

(It's not stubbornness when you are right.)

We all know the real reason that the pin-headed-bureaucrat expelled Matthew was because the last time she had good grades were in kindergarten.