Friday, September 12, 2008

Poke, Poke, Part II

When some people learn about Isaac's diabetes, they say some silly things. "Do you have to poke him? I could never do that. Doesn't that just break your heart? Poor baby."

I usually politely change the subject, but c'mon folks! Not. Helpful. People. Really. NOT helpful!

Does it break my heart? No. 'Course I don't enjoy poking Isaac (and for that matter neither does Isaac) but I have to frame it differently. Jonathan and I are keeping our baby ALIVE, HEALTHY, and OUT of the HOSPITAL.

Even while in the ER the word diabetes came up. During the lumbar puncture I cowardly stayed in the hall while Jonathan offered what comfort he could to Isaac. I could hear Isaac crying, and I fell apart. A nurse saw me and gave me a kleenex and some water. I told him about the possibility of diabetes, and how frightened I was of that. Having some family members with the disease, I knew just enough to be alarmed. How do you manage glucose in a newborn?!

Needless to say it was a rough night, especially for Isaac.

We're a little past the initial shock now. We know what we are dealing with (except for the exact genetic cause...), have a plan, and quite frankly are too busy to indulge in why us, or feel too bad about the whole situation. It is what it is....and it is manageable. It's also quite interesting to read about. Just in the last six years research and papers on neonatal diabetes have accelerated. From the looks of things, there will be considerably more information within the coming years. More on that in a future post.

So checking glucoses and injecting insulin is now just what we do in the Ellis household. There will be more to learn when he starts solids and when he gets big enough to tear around the house. For now, if only we could get past the sleep deprivation!! Eh, but that is a common complaint with any newborn in the house.

1 comment:

ClevelandRocks said...

You have a great attitude, Rachel. Isaac is blessed to have you and Jonathan as his parents. Albeit a little late, congratulations on getting out of the hospital!