Friday, September 19, 2008

Normal for Isaac?

The past few days Isaac has wanted to eat almost every two hours. With my other two babies I shrugged it off as a normal growth spurt that seems to occur around 6 weeks. The frequent nursing eased off after about a week. In the case of this guy I'm not so sure... His glucose levels have dipped below 100 mg/dL about once a day the past several days. They are above 70 mg/dL (with one falling at 64- that made me nervous) so as long as he eats immediately there isn't the fear of hypoglycemia. After eating even with low numbers his blood glucose jumps well into the 100s. We haven't had to use glucagon yet, and I'm hoping we never do. That would be pretty scary. He is making some insulin so it is a little hard to gauge exactly how much he needs. Plus, I have no idea how much he eats at a time...

I can tell a difference in his cry when his glucose levels are low though. It is more high pitched and frantic. So is he getting a bit more insulin than he needs and is eating frequently to compensate? Or is he just going through a growth spurt? Tomorrow we will decrease his morning Lantus by a quarter unit and see how the day goes.

Here's hoping things settle down soon. It's a lot of extra heel pricks for him, less sleep for us, and I have to pump periodically because he's stimulated way too much milk again.

No comments: