Monday, September 08, 2008

Fruits of My Labor

We had a pretty good yield from my small garden this year. I've picked the last of the corn, the zucchini is slowing down, but the tomatoes, peppers, green and purple beans, and cucumbers are still going strong. We're trying to eat the carrots faster than the %$*! gophers. I go to war with them every year....and lose. The beans pictured are called royal burgundy, or according to Matthew "magic beans," because they change to green when blanched. I tried out a Brandywine tomato plant along with my usual mix of romas, beefsteak, early girls, and cherry tomatoes. They are massive pink tomatoes! The one below is not the largest I've had, and it weighs in at a hefty 1# 5 oz. It has a sweet flavor and is quite meaty. Very tasty too!


I've finally gotten around to uploading pictures of Isaac just before we left the hospital. This is right after all the monitors came off. I planned on taking more pictures...but we were just so anxious to get out of there!


In addition to the diabetes instruction, we had to take parenting classes before discharge. Standard NICU policy. The infant CPR was actually useful. Courtesy of the hospital, we have a video to review, and doll to practice on. The don't shake or beat your baby video was just...yikes! For the rest, the nurse gave us the readers digest version, since hopefully we know a few things by now.

Then there was the paperwork. Sign here, here, and here. Lots and lots of paperwork for the nurse to fill out. Wait for the pharmacy to finish filling the prescription and finally, hours later, we were out of there.

As anxious as we were to leave, it was kind of frightening to be responsible for taking care of him. I'd only given him one insulin injection in the hospital (earlier that day), and yet we were now in charge of managing his glucose levels around the clock and injecting him several times a day as needed. Granted, we did have contact with the endocrinologist, but still! A week out now, and I'm just beginning to feel a little more confident...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you tried traps?

WE got one for racoons from the animal agency back in Princeton.

Turns out racoons can not resist peanut butter.

...Neither could our cats:)

abby said...

Johnny was never a very bright cat.

Your vegetables make me drool. I wish I lived nearby to partake in your bounty. I have to content myself with the Farmer's Market.

Isaac looks much better without tubes.

Rachel Ellis said...

Abby, if you lived nearby, I'd share! =)

I'm sure Jonathan would be happy to sacrifice his portion of the green beans for you too.