Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Great Day!

Melissa

Melissa is in Ms. Jan's preschool. Originally I planned on joining a neighborhood preschool co-op like I did with Matthew three years ago. We each took turns teaching the six 3 year olds. Matthew and I really had a great time together and he made some close friends. I was looking forward to doing the same with Melissa. Unfortunately that plan went out the window after Isaac was born. So I signed her up with Ms. Jan's preschool (since I had promised preschool, and she was holding me to it). Matthew went there last year and absolutely adores Ms. Jan. She is a grandmother who has taught preschool for years, has plenty of patience, and simply loves kids. She is also conveniently located just a couple of houses down the street from us. This is Melissa's second week, and she is thrilled to go. When I picked her up at noon, Ms. Jan remarked on how well she was doing and what a good listener she was!

Matthew

After preschool, Melissa and I waited on the corner for the kindergarten bus to arrive. Matthew bounded off of the bus and beaming ear to ear. "Mom! Guess what? I lost my tooth at school!" He proudly showed off the gap in his mouth. "And I get to take Diamonds home with me tonight!" Diamonds is the class stuffed bear. Each kid gets a turn taking the bear home and writing about their adventures with Diamonds. Diamonds was sporting an authentic Spiderman costume, complete with mask. Matthew just happened to be wearing his Spiderman tee shirt today as well. Too cool. He pranced and skipped all the way home. "Hey Mom, I was the first one to lose a tooth in my class!" He also took home the tooth book and journal. Looks like the tooth fairy will visit again tonight.

And Great News About Isaac

I heard from Dr. Z regarding the genetic testing today. Isaac has a small portion of chromosome 6 duplicated, which very strongly indicates the transient form of neonatal diabetes. It is likely that it will disappear within the first year. I am cautiously very happy by the news. Of course, even after remission, it is possible to have hyperglycemic episodes throughout childhood, and it may return as a mild form of type II in adolescence or early adulthood. I did find some great information from a geneticist. Random factoid: the mean birth weight for term babies with TNDM is 1930 grams, or just over 4 pounds. Taking that into account, Isaac was BIG at birth.

Updated: Actually he does not have a duplication- he has a whole 'nother (perfectly normal) chromosome from Dad and none from Mom. Uniparental disomy of chromosome 6 (UPD6) Everything else is correct.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Sounds like everyone at your house is doing well! I'm sure Lila would love pre-school, but we simply can't afford it. I would still love to come over to play one day once you're up for company. Let me know!
Renee

Butterfly Girl said...

I'm glad to hear it they are figuring out what is going on with Isaac and why. it's hard not knowing! Plus, pre-school and losing teeth, there are lots of exciting things going on at your household!