Friday, September 19, 2008

Addicted to blogs

It started out innocently enough....

A family member living far away started a blog, so naturally I read it from time to time. Then I found myself reading blogs of friends and other family members and commenting every once in a while. Now (when I find the time ha ha) I read blogs by various doctors, waiters, moms, nurses, expats in Morocco, Thailand, the Philippines (I blame those on Jonathan's wanderlust), gardeners, midwives, and lately diabetic's blogs.

I settle in to nurse Isaac and am transported away to exotic locales and interesting lives. Some experiences are similar to my own, others very, very different. It is like reading small pieces of autobiographies. I read about adjusting to new cultures and languages, babies born, nuttiness on the psychiatric floor, going to school, prize tomatoes (and how to grow them!), living full lives with diabetes, gracious people, rude people, raising children (plenty of nuttiness there too), unique patients (altered to satisfy HIPPA no doubt), and naturally I keep up with friends and family as well. (Course for all I know some of them may be written by 14 year old teenagers with vivid imaginations, but I kind of doubt it...) I finally organized them in google's rss reader rather than checking individual blogs every few days. Jonathan is amused it took me so long to do so. "Welcome to 2004, dear."

So when the children are all sleeping, or at least Isaac is sleeping/nursing and Matthew and Melissa are playing nicely together...I enjoy a few minutes to read and daydream.

2 comments:

Telitha said...

obviously i'm behind the times... what's an rss reader?
How do you find these bolgs... googling?
P.s, I need to ask Jonathan why my computer doens't recognize when I plug in my camera anymore

Jonathan Ellis said...

an rss reader, like http://www.google.com/reader, aggregates new posts from all the blogs you tell it to follow, so you only have to go to one page to catch up on all that bloggy goodness.

I mostly find new blogs when someone whose blog I read links to another one. But sometimes I do google for specific subjects, like Morocco. Google Blog Search (google it :) and Ask.com Blog Search are sometimes better for this than general-purpose Google.