Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A girl with a plan

Melissa was impressed by Matthew's school PE night, especially the dancing. (4 of the 6 presentations, one per grade level, could be fairly categorized as "dances.") Melissa stood on our bench and bounced along with the music. She was disappointed when there were no more dances.

Melissa dressed herself this morning -- in a princess outfit. Then she put on her coat and came to me. "I go to Maffew's teacher and be in a show. I dance a princess dance. And all the boys will dance with me. And Maffew will watch with you on the bench."

I hope she isn't too mad when she realizes this isn't going to happen no matter how much she begs.

"See these slippers? I need to dance with somebody. A boy. Girls dance with boys. Girls wear dresses to dance." (Actually, none of the girls last night did, but hey.)

I will dance with her. Maybe that will be adequate.

3 comments:

abby said...

I can just tell those middle school years are going to awaken her to the horrid reality of dances and how painfully awkward they really are. No matter how hot you look nor how cute your shoes are boys will be too petrified to ask you to dance.

Jonathan Ellis said...

I'm pretty sure it's okay for girls to ask boys to dance now. I could be wrong.

ClevelandRocks said...

That is too cute! I hope she is satisfied by dancing with you, though!