Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Hike (that almost didn't happen)

P6210014
Call me a nut but I love taking the Activity Day girls hiking. We planned a hike for the end of June. I get a call from the other leader a few days before saying "Umm, I don't think we'll have enough girls, maybe we should cancel." So I call up the girls and find plenty that were planning on coming but hadn't rsvp'd." Then I get a call from the primary president that we need to have two men there should anything go wrong. Nearly 20 phone calls later I find one Dad willing and able to come and I recruit Brian who was staying with us as the other. (Jonathan still had his arm in a brace and wasn't able to come). Then I get a call from the other leader again, "On second thought, we'd rather go on a family trip that day." So the real reason is out. Grrr. To her credit she did pick up the drinks and dessert for after the hike and dropped them off at my house. But still!

So I'm a little grumpy about the whole affair, but I made a commitment to the girls darn it! So we meet at the church that morning. Seven girls, some moms, a dad, and a grandpa show up. This is actually a pretty good turnout. We drive up to Silver Lake in Cottonwood Canyon for the hike. It is a lovely day. The weather in the mountains couldn't be more perfect. Down in the valley it is in the upper 90s but in the mountains it's in the 60s and 70s. Being 33 1/2 weeks pregnant, this is perfect.

Brian being goofy in my hat:
P6210023

Me at 33 1/2 weeks and still going strong:
P6210022

We hike a ways up the mountain, but aren't able to do the whole loop because the abnormally cold spring prevented some of the snow from melting and it barred our way on a narrow path (which had a very steep slope). So we hiked some alternative paths and backtracked around the lake. The girls were all troopers about the hike and none of them complained. Brian climbed around on the rock slope and scraped himself up a bit, but there were no other injuries. After the hike we had lunch and drove back. All in all a success.

Our group:
P6210018

1 comment:

Butterfly Girl said...

Wow, Rachel!! I'm impressed!