Thursday, June 25, 2009

More Kitchen Concoctions


Jonathan and I both love Thai food. I decided to try my hand at a red curry dish tonight. Tried to make masaman curry about a month ago with poor results, so Jonathan was hesitant. When he saw me dicing some sweet potatoes in the kitchen, he sceptically went hunting for Doritos. Fortunately, as he later admitted, he was unable to find them and had plenty of room for dinner. I was rather pleased with how it turned out. It was moderately spicy with sweet, tangy, and creamy undertones. A good curry indeed! I found a fairly easy recipe, which I substantially altered to suit what I had on hand, and our particular tastes. Here is my take on red curry with beef.

Red Curry with Beef
(Serves about 6)


1 small can of bamboo shoots
16 oz can of coconut milk
1 c water
2 tbls + 1 or 2 tsp red curry paste
1/2 onion, chopped
1 lb cubed stew meat
1 small sweet potato chopped in medium chunks
1 red pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
2 tbls fish sauce
2 tbls lime juice
2 tsp soft brown sugar
several stalks of basil leaves (according to taste)

Start your rice cooker now so the rice will be ready when the curry is done.

In a wok combine the coconut milk, water, and curry paste. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally.

In a separate frying pan, cook stew beef in a tablespoon of cooking oil until no longer pink. Add a dash of salt.

While beef is cooking add the sweet potatoes and cook over medium heat until the sweet potatoes are nearly cooked.

Add the red pepper, zucchini, and beef and simmer for another five minutes. Add 1/2 cup water if the sauce gets too thick.

Lastly add the bamboo shoots, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and the basil leaves. Stir well and serve on rice.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

abby said...

You guys should try our the recipes from my ward's Thai cooking night
http://crystalcityenrichment.blogspot.com

The Pad See Yew is amazing.

Rachel Ellis said...

Mmm! We'll have to try some of those.

Thanks!