Friday, April 04, 2008

Matthew Graduates!

Today was Matthew's last day of speech therapy. His therapist seemed very pleased with the progress he's made. He's age appropriate (or ahead) for all of his sounds, grammar, sentence lengths, and intelligibility. In his latest speech sample, there was only one word that was unintelligible out of 237. When he started speech therapy only 60% of his words were understandable, now over 99% are.

He's also figuring out sounds with his phonics progress. He knows that letters make certain sounds and is more conscientious about how they fit together when he speaks. Yeesss!!!

Today he worked on " ing " and " 's " sounds. When he thinks about them, he gets them, so they are emerging sounds.

His therapist considers him a "graduate" now. To celebrate, he got to pick whatever he wanted for lunch. We had blueberry pancakes and cream.

Here's a speech sample from March 27th

E: Examiner

C#: Matthew

Speech Sample


E: What do you wear in the rain?

C1: I don ha rain clothes.
Intended: I don't have rain clothes.

C2: Where the other rain boot?
Intended: Where's the other rain boot?

C3: Oh, here it is.

E: You found the boot. That boy looks ready to play in the rain. Do you like to play in the rain?

C4: No.
C5: It is funny (laughing).

C6: That funny right?
Intended: That's funny right?

E: That is funny. Tell me about your Easter.

C7: I forgot everything.

E: Everything?

C8: Just not one thing.

C9: The Easter bunny was late!

E: The Easter bunny came to your house after Easter?

C10: Put the eggs on the ground and I found a lot more than my sister.

E: What were the eggs like?

C11: Candy.

E: Candy? Candy was in you Easter eggs? But you say they didn't come on Easter Sunday?

C12: On Easter Sunday I got toys in my bucket.

E: That sounds like fun. Tell me about the toys.

C13: I forgot.

E: Try to remember.

C14: (Um) a sinky
Intended: (Um) a slinky.

E: A slinky?

C15: And a toy airplane with a (X?)

E: What does the airplane have?

C16: (A X) (uses hand actions to demonstrate a launch)
Intended: (A launch)

C17: Put the string in and.... (motor noises)

E: What a fun Easter basket. Anything else?

C18: Candy and.....

C19: I think that's it.

E: Did you have to find your Easter basket? Was it in a hiding place?

C20: I don remember.
Intended: I don't remember.

C21: My sister got a pez candy.

E: Oh, those are a toy and a candy.

C22: Tigger.

E: It sounds like you had a great Easter. Your mom is going to have a baby. That is very exciting.

C23: After the Fourth of July.

C24: It's goin to be a long time.
Intended: It's going to be a long time.

E: Do you think it will be a boy or a girl?

C25: I think it's a boy.

E: A little brother will be a lot of fun.

C26: My sister cause a lot of trouble.

E: She is still learning. Like you.

C27: She's two and a half.

C28: When she turns three I will be almost six.

E: I think you are a good big brother. What names do you like for the baby?

C29: I think if it's a boy....

C30: I will name it Ethan or Mason.

E: I know Mason. And Ethan must be another friend of yours. What names do you like if the baby is a girl?

C31: If it's a girl I will name it Elizbe or Uncle Ellis.

C32: I mean Michael or....

C33: Emma.

E: Those are great names! Do you think a girl would like to be called Uncle Ellis or Michael?

C34: (laughing) No. Michael is in my class and so is Elizbe.
Intended: No. Michael is in my class and so is Elizabeth.

E: Elizabeth?

C: (E-liz-a-beth)

E: I think you will be a great help to your mom.

C35: When it cries I will put on some music or I will carry it.

C36: My sister was bigger than me when she was a baby, but now I bigger than her.

C37: I want to tell you somefing.
Intended: I want to tell you something.

E: Please do.

C38: I broke my toenail.

E: How did that happen?

C39: I as openin the door and (sound effect) I broke it.
Intended: I was opening the door and I broke it.

E: Ouch! That sounds like it hurt.

C40: I was jumpin.
Intended: I was jumping.

C41: Can we put the ice togeder? (Don't Break the Ice Game)
Intended: Can we put the ice together?

E: Absolutely.

E: Will you say 'jumping' again for me?

C: (Jumpin).

C42: I like jumpin and singin.
Intended: I like jumping and singing.

E: Will you sing a song for me?

(Matthew sings the alphabet song)

No comments: