Sunday, March 30, 2008

Someday your prince will come

Melissa ran up to me after watching Cinderella and dove on my lap. She looked up and said, "I marry you!"

"No, I'm already married to Mommy."

"I marry Datthew!"

"No, that's just ... not done."

She was disappointed that I kept shooting down her future, so I suggested, "You will marry a prince!"

"Yeah!"

Now I feel a little guilty. Maybe I should take Cinderella off of the "allowed" list for a while. I'm having trouble thinking of a movie that depicts love and marriage less realistically.

Any suggestions for "strong woman" movies? That a two (almost three) year old would get?

1 comment:

abby said...

I'm not a big fan of the princess thing either. Disney has totally messed up with the minds of girls ages 1 through 10. I thought Enchanted and Ever After were pretty good because of their stronger female role models. However, I doubt Melissa would catch on. Belle from Beauty and the Beast is pretty awesome, but some of the scenes might scare her. Is the Swan Princess any better? I never really saw it. Maybe you should just turn her on to the Power Puff Girls. Blossom, Bubbles and Butter Cup kick a lot more a than any Cinderella.