Sunday, March 16, 2008

So Nice

We were sitting in front of a middle aged couple with a teenage son in church today. I don't know this couple well and was just hoping the kids would behave themselves. Not five minutes into the meeting, I noticed Melissa making faces and sticking out her tongue at the gentleman behind us. I tried to discourage her by directing her attention elsewhere. Ten minutes later she started up again. The woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said that it was her husband's fault, he was the one who started it. Oh! It was a game, I get it.

Then the man drew a picture of a rabbit for Melissa. She was tickled pink. "For ME? Oh thank you! A bunny for ME!" She then reciprocated with a coloring book page that she'd colored. "For YOU!" He thanked her and she said, "You welcome!" The man also drew a frog for Matthew. Matthew in turn seemed quite pleased with his drawing. The gentleman and lady behind us were both all smiles with the kids. Matthew and Melissa were actually very good in church today (which was really wonderful because I was by myself today). They were quiet most of the time and didn't fuss at all or wiggle too much. I only had to threaten baby prison* once. After the meeting the lady said what cute, nice kids I had.

It is really great sitting by people who understand and like little ones.



*Baby prison is the term we use when we have to take them out of the meeting. I sit on the floor of the coat closet (or an empty classroom if we're lucky) with the guilty party on my lap and his or her arms folded. They can yell and fuss, but are not allowed to go anywhere. Baby prison is considered very dull. Coats are pretty boring to look at. When the sinner settles down and is ready to go back, we do!

Actually Melissa is the only one who periodically goes to baby prison now, Matthew outgrew it long ago. He's usually very good in church.

No comments: