Friday, March 14, 2008

Dinner with a Swede

I'm at PyCon this weekend.

Tonight I had dinner with a fellow from Seattle I know from the last two PyCons, and his roommate, a Swede.

We went to a steak house next door to our hotel. It was a pricey restaurant. They had a restroom attendant, who squirted soap on your hands and handed you towels. Trippy. Most of the menu items were in the $30-$50 range and there were some near $100. I just wanted to eat, so I got the $10 hamburger. Seattle guy and Swedish dude got salmon and sirloin.

When the food arrived, my friends' portions were huge, so they offered others a bite to try. I jokingly offered my hamburger to Swedish dude with a grin in mock reciprocation.

He took a bite!

I don't know if that's normal for Sweden or if he thought he needed to humor the crazy American.

Just in case, I didn't offer Seattle guy a bite.

(Then Swedish dude ate his fries with a knife and fork.)

If you're reading this, Swedish dude, no offense taken and I hope none given. Just having some fun with cultural misunderstandings!

No comments: