Sunday, November 05, 2006

Gimme the beat

Last night when Rachel turned Melissa over to me at 3:30, she was inclined to complain that she didn't want Daddy. Plus her nose was stuffed up and that made her grumpy. I sang to her, and she quieted down. Then when I stopped, she started singing "Happy Birthday." She doesn't know what it means, but it's a happy tune and she likes it. So we sang Happy Birthday twice, then we both went to sleep.

Today I stayed home with Melissa while Rachel taught Matthew's class at church. She hadn't slept well due to her congestion, and she was cranky. I took her for a drive, and she howled her dislike for the mellow classical music I played, and possibly me personally too. After twenty minutes of unsuccessfully waiting for her to get tired of yelling at me, I switched channels to some grunge rock song with lots of distortion. She got quiet then, and her eyelids started drooping. Five minutes and two rock songs later she was out. (Then I changed it back to classical.)

When we got home, I took her out of the carseat somewhat against my better judgement. She snapped awake and started reproaching me immediately. Efforts to get her back to sleep were futile. She was too mad for singing to work. After she dissed the soup I tried to feed her, I left her in the bedroom to her own devices. Half an hour later it finally started to get quiet, so I went in and offered to sing her to sleep again. This time, worn out, she accepted.

Tonight, she was inclined to protest when Rachel tried to put her to bed too, but was willing for Mom to sing her to sleep.

This baby likes her music.

No comments: