Sunday, April 06, 2014

Gray hairs

I remember being little and never walking anywhere if I could run.  At the time I never gave a thought as to the source of that energy.  Now, I know.  Kids sap their parents' energy.  They gnaw on the bones and gleefully suck the marrow from their elders.  They are essentially adorable little vampires.  Then, to top it off, they scare the daylights out of their parents.  Gray hairs, I have them.  Poor Jonathan's hairs jumped ship long before turning gray.

Two days after Tommy was born, Jonathan offered to run to the store to pick up some things in the evening.  We were both extremely sleep deprived but managing, mostly.  Jonathan got Isaac ready for bed and took Melissa and Corinna with him to the store.  Matthew was busy on the computer, and I thought Isaac was tucked into his bed for the night.  I locked up the door and then lied down to nurse Tommy on the bed.  Isaac, however, had other ideas.  Inadvertently I fell asleep in minutes...

Next thing I hear is Matthew in my room, "Mom!  There's some policemen here and they want to talk to you!"  What?!  I lept out of the bed.  There are three officers in my living room and Isaac with his pajamas and bare feet.  "Ma'am, your son was found outside down the road.  A neighbor called to report a little boy out on his own."  

Oh Crap!  It was horrifying that he'd slipped out undetected.  Isaac didn't realize the gravity of the situation initially.  He got to ride in a cop car!  Cool!  And spend time with some police, double cool!  It was a GREAT night as far as he was concerned.   Mom, on the other hand, did not think it was so cool.

"Isaac what where you thinking?!?  Why did you leave the house?  You were supposed to be in bed, that was so dangerous!!  You really scared me!"  It is one of those rare times I've been so very upset, scared, and grateful all at the same time.  I could see the gears working in his mind.  Hmm.  Maybe that wasn't such a great idea.  He told me he wanted to go with Daddy and left the house to try to find the car.  He didn't want to be left behind.  I told him that I was glad he was safe, but he must never, never do that again.  Isaac promised he wouldn't.  

One of the officers suggested a lock with keys on both sides.  We thought about that, but it wouldn't meet fire code and really could be dangerous in a fire.  Another officer said he'd been there; he had twin 3 year-old girls.  Even though the police officers were really nice about it, I still felt like the world's worst parent at that moment.  Kids! 

We will install a turn lock up high on the door.  It won't stop Isaac if he is determined and gets a stool, but it will slow him down and maybe he will think first.  

I just hope we can get them all raised to adulthood without major incident.

Pray for us.

No comments: