Saturday, June 12, 2010

Peanuts

  • I shaved the back of my neck myself, this time. I showed my work to Rachel: "How did I do?" She gasped. Guess I won't be trying that again.
  • Rachel: "The new couple in the ward is really young. He started college in 2001." Me: "Maybe we should invite the other new couple over then, the ones pushing 40." Rachel: "Well, that _is_ closer to your age than 27."
  • I told one friend at church about starting my own company, and now the whole ward knows. Which is fine, it's not a secret, but Rachel has had a lot of women ask her, with concern, if we're all right: "I heard your husband's self-employed now." Apparently they think starting a company is a euphemism for "hasn't found a job yet."
  • Getting Matthew to do a chore was three times as much work as doing it myself, when he was five. With Melissa, it's about ten times. Starting with calling her name five or six times to snap her out of what Rachel calls "Melissa la-la land."
  • Rachel: "Matthew's pretty smart. He gets his mechanical ability from his mother."
  • Ah, Saturday. Nothing like being "encouraged" to get up by your wife squirting you with a spray bottle.
  • Me: "What's Isaac eating?" Rachel: "Marshmallow." Me: "_Marshmallow_!?" Rachel: "Well, you said he ate breakfast." Isaac: "Om nom nom."
  • Left my gaming mouse down. Isaac ate the mousewheel off. (But, I did achieve Gold division in Starcraft II before they closed the beta.)
  • Me: "We're guys. We laugh at each others' facebook jokes. We don't call each other and say, 'I was thinking of you.'"
  • Upside of taking a shared shuttle to Denver airport: $30 instead of $90 for a taxi. Downside: worst shocks I've felt in a long time. Extra downside: driver's credit card machine went down as I was handing him my card, so I put my card on the seat and handed him cash instead. Then I left my card in the car when I arrived at the airport.
  • Rachel: "Matthew had the perfect virus today. It was enough to take his orneriness out, but not enough to make him whiny."
  • Girl: "I have a phone. Do you have one?" Matthew: "No. How old are you?" "Six." "I'm seven. And I'm turning eight this year." I think it's a tie. (Note: she really did have her own cell phone.)

No comments: