Friday, June 18, 2010

Washington Summer- Walla Walla

Road trip!

The drive from Puyallup to Walla Walla seemed a bit shorter pre-children...go figure.

Monday while Jonathan had work in Seattle, I packed up the kids and we made the trip to see my Grandparents, Aunt, Uncle, and cousins.

Here's a snapshot of Grandma and Grandpa.

You can see where we get part of our good looks. :)

I have wanted to visit them for some time since it'd been years since I was last there. It's about a 5 hour drive straight through to Walla Walla. It's a bit longer with small people, however. We made it, but not without checking out several scenic rest stops and McDonald's. Melissa is my "little miss tiny bladder." Surprisingly Isaac was pretty content most of the trip and even napped for several hours. Whew.

Isaac on one of Grandpa Sinden's old tractors. (I think he has 4?) I remember when I was a kid that he'd always take us out for a ride. Good times.


Grandma took us to the Fort Walla Walla Museum. Last time I was there I think I was about 10. They have really added some great exhibits and it is more kid friendly now. They have a nice wooden play ground which was the kids' favorite part. We checked out two early school houses, played in a tepee and saw lots and lots of old farm equipment. There was a full sized replica of a team of mules pulling a combine harvester that filled an entire room. Here's a picture of a mule pulled combine from the 1900s. It took 36 mules to pull, with one man at the reins, one man fueling the fire, two forking up the straw, a water barrel team, and several others doing jobs I can't remember. What hot, hard, dusty, dirty work that must have been! We live in a good age, folks.

This is just a bit before Grandma's time, but she remembered seeing other old equipment that was on display as a girl on her father's farm. Crazy!

Here is Matthew in an old piece of the state pen. (Which is still located near Walla Walla).

A very shady looking character indeed.

His accomplice in crime:


Matthew snapped a shot of Grandma and me in prison. We were framed, I tell you.

We saw guns, and arrows, dolls and dresses, buggies, and old cars; then Isaac had had enough so we called it a day.

Here's Matthew pushing his brother and sister in a wheelbarrow.



Regrettably we timed our visit poorly since cousins Amber and Amy still had school. Aunt Candy was a hit with Isaac though. I've never seen him warm up to another person so quickly. He's usually pretty wary of those he doesn't know, but "baby whisperer" Aunt Candy must speak his language. I can't believe how tall and beautiful Amber, Amy, and Aubrey now are. Last I saw them, they were still little girls. We didn't get to see the Sinden clan next door as much as I'd like, but next time we will stay a bit longer. Matthew in particular was disappointed we had to leave so soon. Alas, I didn't get any pictures of them!

Wednesday morning Grandma, Grandpa, the crew and I, stopped by the park to wear off little kid steam before the long car ride back. Grandpa literally had Matthew running a circuit around the park. He was more than happy to show Grandpa how fast he was.

Isaac enjoying the swings.

It's my Melissa Monkey!

After they were good and tired out we made the trek onward back to Puyallup. Somewhere past Issaquah the kids tired of the snacks, books, and movies I brought, so we sang songs. Matthew's composition went to the tune of the "Wheels on the bus."

The kids in the car are
Bored, bored, bored.
bored, bored, bored,
bored, bored, bored.

The kids in the car are
bored, bored, bored
all the way home!

This he sang with gusto. Despite terrible boredom, we made it! And in time for dinner too. Priorities, you know. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel-it was great to see you and your VERY adorable kiddos!! Sorry life was so busy when you were here-next time we'll try to plan some time to be able to visit without having to be gone so often! Hugs to you all! Candy