Sunday, August 08, 2010

Writing Chinese


Writing Chinese
Originally uploaded by jbellis


Writing Chinese
Originally uploaded by jbellis

Grant and Lisa have a cement wall on the back of their condo that is perfect for kids to paint (with water). Melissa usually loves this game, and today was no different. But while she usually paints herself, or flowers, or horses, last night she saw Grandpa Ellis watching Chinese television, and that inspired her. "Daddy! I'm writing Chinese! What does it say?"

At first I told her I didn't know, but she persisted, so I made things up: "That means 'girl in a red dress.'" But she didn't like some of my improvisations: "That's not what it means!" Very well then, I asked, what does it really mean? "I don't know. But not girl in a red dress, that's silly."

2 comments:

abby said...

It must be fun to have a girl cousin. All the cousins who joined our family growing up were boys.

Telitha said...

painting with water... what a good idea! NO mess:)