Sunday, June 08, 2008

What I did for summer vacation

Read a lot of books this week.  Played a lot of Super Stardust HD.  What else is there to do when you can't exercise and typing is a chore?

Knights of Dark Renown was excellent.  Read it if you are at all a fan of Fantasy.

Mass Effect: Revelation was decent pseudo-military SF.  Not Timothy Zahn level but most of the Star Wars hacks are not, and some SW book I haven't read is the author's only claim to fame.  It accomplished its purpose, though, getting me excited to play the ME game.  Too bad that will have to wait until I can use a real keyboard and mouse again.

A Coffin for Dimitrios was the weakest book I read.  It was written in the thirties, and is apparently vaguely famous for some reason, or it wouldn't keep getting reprinted.   You can google a competent review or two; to my mind, the only possible explanation for what poor popularity it does enjoy is an infantile denouncement of capitalism of the sort (corporations are eeeeeevil!) that has proved enduringly popular through the years.

No comments: