Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mother's Day

Jonathan and Matthew really planned out a nice Mother's Day this year. On Saturday, Jonathan took Matthew to a nursery where they had "marigolds for mom" so he could pot a flower for me. He was so excited to give it to me that he couldn't wait till Sunday. As soon as he saw me he shouted, "Happy Mother's Day!!! Look! I made dis for you!" They also picked up some chocolates and dinner at a restaurant for the next day.

Melissa gifted me with hardwood floors for our bedroom. (Well, more accurately she created the need for new flooring after an unfortunate run-in with my makeup and the carpet.) Still, I'm not complaining- I love hardwood.

Saturday afternoon I got a call from someone in the primary presidency. "Can you teach Matthew's class tomorrow?" Clearly the woman was desperate, so I couldn't say no. Jonathan (the weasel) just laughed and said no way was he going to teach the class for me.

"Hey, you're the one who said yes."
"Well, yeah, but really she would have asked anyone who answered the phone. Besides, it's Mother's Day tomorrow*," I pleaded. The man wouldn't budge. Grrr.

Sunday Matthew came bounding in with eggs and toast. (His Daddy helped- thank goodness!) Matthew was soo excited to make breakfast in bed for his mama. It was very sweet. Jonathan's conscience must have pricked him becaused he offered to teach Matthew's sunday school class. Pride had the better of me though and I turned him down, besides, I'd planned it out already. He did get things printed for the lesson, (for some reason the printer doesn't recognize my laptop over the wireless network...or something like that).

The kids were good in Matthew's class and we made cards for their moms.

After church, Jonathan set up my Mother's Day gift. He gave me a Wii ;) He also "cooked" a delicious dinner picked up the previous day. Mmm! Italian pasta!

Throughout the day Matthew would shout, "Happy Mother's Day! Are you having a good day?" Melissa would chime in by throwing her arms in the air and yelling "Hooray!"

We both called our moms. From the sounds of it, they were having lovely Mother's Days as well. All in all a great day.


* I must have grown up in a more enlightened ward. On Mother's Day, the women didn't do anything except enjoy a nice lesson. The men and boys subsituted in nursery, taught primary, and took over all the jobs the women had on that particular day.

No comments: