Friday, October 01, 2004

Not the baby anymore

Rachel is pregnant and a little anxious about how Matthew's going to take the whole new baby thing. My position is that with baby #2 arriving in May, there's plenty of time before we need to start worrying about this.

Still, Rachel ordered a newborn baby doll. It arrived yesterday while I was at work. "How'd it go?" I asked. "He likes it. He patted it gently, then dragged it all over the house with him. Then he started undressing it, saying 'stinky!' I guess the doll needed a diaper change."

This morning while I was watching him, I put the doll on the couch and covered it with a blanket. "Night night," I told it. Matthew came over and gave the doll a kiss and echoed, "Night night." He also handed me its cap, which had fallen off, and helped me put it back on.

Playing with a doll is a far cry from having to share your Mommy with a new rival, though.

No comments: