Friday, October 08, 2004

The alpha peanut

Ahh, nothing like a little contest of will to start the morning.

Matthew had half a banana for breakfast, but wanted something else before he finished it. So, I handed him a box of Wheat Thins. Lately he's wanted the whole box, "just like a big person," and he's been good about eating one at a time so I haven't had a problem with this.

Well, this morning he apparently got bored with one-at-a-time, and dumped the entire contents of the box out on the table. I told him he couldn't get down until he picked them up. (He understands "pick up" quite well.) He thought that was a silly rule and got down anyway. So, I buckled him in. He was at the table for 20 minutes or so and decided a better way out would be to sweep the crackers down to the floor.

I accepted his challenge and swatted his butt, then sat down on the floor with him and asked if he was ready to pick up yet. It took I think 7 swats before he decided to pick them up.

(For the record, I wasn't angry at any point, and when he started picking up I helped him, and told him what a good boy he was afterwards.)

Now he's hopping around on his ball. I cooked him an egg, but hopping is more fun than eating...

No comments: