- David: "Don't worry, Jonathan. I've trained with older guys who are out of shape before."
- Split lip while tossing the medicine ball. David: "If you're going to catch it with your face, at least turn your head to one side."
- Handstands. Haven't done that in 20 years. Kind of scary by the third round when you're not quite sure your muscles are going to work as planned.
- Almost able to keep up with David, after he spent the previous hour teaching a jiu jitsu class. (Two months later: No. He just let me think I could almost keep up.)
- After tiring me out with running, David took us inside to lift weights. "Come on, Jonathan! You're supposed to be good at this part!" "David, the problem is that you're doing it wrong. Lifting weights is supposed to be anaerobic, but you make it aerobic!" "Jonathan, in your shape, everything is going to be aerobic."
- David has us doing unconventional pullups. I start on the judo gi draped over the top of his weight cage. It hangs so that if you pull yourself straight up, you will bash your face on the crossbar, and that's what I do. David: "I'm going to print out labels for everything that say, Achtung: lippen."
- David wasn't tired out from an earlier workout, so he just did twice as much of everything. That worked out pretty well for both of us.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
July peanuts, workout edition
Posted by Jonathan Ellis at 10:48 PM