Friday, December 16, 2011

Grandpa Ellis tells a story

Paraphrasing Dad's first-person words:

My high school physics teacher had a game. He had students ordered in a kind of S alternating rows through the classroom, starting to his right. If he asked a question and the student in front of you missed it, and you got it, you'd switch places. I was a sophomore, and most of the class was juniors and seniors, but I marched up to the top of the S. So he put me back down at the bottom, and I marched up again. This happened a couple times, until he announced, "New rule: the goal is now to keep Ellis from getting to the top."

This was the same teacher that had some strobe lamps, to examine fast-moving objects by illumination. I made a mechanical one that doesn't work too well, and showed it to him. He wanted to show it to the class. I said it didn't work very well because I had the wrong kind of light bulb in it, but he said, "I want to show the class about creativity."

The sad thing is, I've never paid much attention to what other people think, but everyone said he was a bad AP teacher so I didn't take AP physics. So from that point I was a year farther ahead in chemistry, and that's what I ended up getting my PhD in even though I liked physics better.

No comments: