Sunday, April 25, 2010

Peanuts

  • I'm old enough that I still reflexively hit the spacebar twice after a period.
  • Rachel: "I think Isaac is more stubborn than Matthew and Melissa combined." Matthew: "I'm not stubborn at all!" Cue disbelieving laughter from his parents.
  • Sometime in late March or early April, Matthew learned to roll his eyes when his parents say something dumb or obvious. He's been rolling his eyes a lot.
  • Isaac kept trying to climb into my lap while I was signing legal papers. I thought he was being affectionate. No: he just wanted my pen.
  • I'm lying on the couch with a blanket over my head. I hear Matthew approach: "Dad?" I ignore him. "Dad?" I ignore him again. "Dad?" I decide he's not getting the hint, and answer, What? "Dad, what does this thing go to?" I reply that first, I can't see the thing with a blanket over my head, and second, do I look like I want to answer thing-questions now? "No?" Great moments in parenting.
  • I was teasing Matthew that we were having boiled monkey brains for dinner. He didn't believe me. Then I told him that Rachel and I ate snails on Friday night. He didn't believe that either; truth is stranger than fiction.
  • Isaac really liked the Richard Scarry VHS tapes Rachel got, but then our VCR died. I torrented some to our ps3 to replace them. Kind of amazing that VHS-quality rips are only about 0.5GB/hr.
  • Filed for an extension on my federal taxes again this year. Rachel was not pleased, but last year was my easiest return ever: called the IRS around September, had them fax all the forms they'd received about me over, filled them in on the return, no sweat.
  • My toddler-level French is mostly pretty good -- I picked up a surprising amount by osmosis when my father was speaking to my youngest sister. But I lapse into English with Isaac when I am frustrated with him, because I haven't heard enough examples of idiomatic French for those situations. Guess Dad was more patient than I am.
  • Dad: explains how to demonstrate CO2 density by pouring it over a candle. "Matthew's old enough to enjoy that." Me: "I'm not sure how Rachel would feel about Matthew and flames." Dad: "Are you kidding? I was playing with firecrackers when I was five!" Me: "I'm not sure Rachel will find that line of reasoning convincing." (On investigation, Rachel is "probably" okay with Matthew lighting a candle, with supervision.)
  • I started using Google Calendar but I still get surprised by appointments because I draw the little boxes on the wrong days.

1 comment:

Grant Ellis said...

I'm old enough that I write documents that require you to hit the spacebar twice after typing a period.