Sunday, March 04, 2007

First reading lesson

Matthew ran out of ideas to entertain himself before church today, so I reached into Rachel's activity closet (aka the coat closet) and pulled out the first thing I saw, which turned out to be Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. 20 minutes a day, 100 days... that's a lot of lessons. We'll see if Daddy has staying power.

The first lesson went pretty well; it was just about combining simple sounds. I can see that I'll have my work cut out for me, though; Matthew can't really hear the difference between P and T, for instance, or M and N. I can explain the difference (mouth closed vs mouth open, in both of these cases) but I'm not sure how much good it does if he still can't tell why it matters.

But what was encouraging was how agreeable Matthew was for the whole thing, even when I corrected him. I think he really enjoyed the Dad time, particularly since Melissa was Too Little to participate.

No comments: